Sunday, August 7, 2022

 2022 WSOP Main Event Write-Up Part 3

This writeup continues on 
2022 WSOP Main Event Write-Up Part 2, picking up from the end of Day 1.

At this year's main event, there were planned to be two Day 2's. The first was going to merge the two first Day 1's (1A, 1B) and the second was going to merge the last two Day1's (1C, 1B). My Day 1 being 1C, I was supposed to be playing Day 2B on Friday, 7/7. However, given the deluge of players on Day 1D (bringing the total to over 8,600 almost a main event record), the powers that be decided to move my flight's Day 2 to Thursday 7/6. That was ok with me, since a wait of two days between Day 1 and Day 2 seemed too much, and in the event that I got through Day 2, having Friday as another break day would be good. Mike A and Scott L, having started on Day 1D, were going to be playing on Day 2B Friday.

My game plan coming into the Day with 21 BB (a 16,800 stack going into Level 6 400/800/800) was to open bet with a tight range, not do any calling except from the BB, and raise-jam any strong opening hand over an initial open. 

My mindset was pretty ok, having played the Sahara 2/3 game the previous evening and making it back to room by midnight for a decent night's sleep.

Here is a summary of the hands played.

Poker  hands (Main Event Day 2): 
________________________________________________________________________

Level 6  - blinds are 400 SB, 800 BB, 800 BB Ante, stack 16,800 (21 BB).

Hand 1
After blinding down to a stack of 13,600 I got AA in UTG (first to act). I opened for 1800 and they all folded.

Hand 2
I picked up 88 in UTG. I open-jammed and late-position bad American reg over-jammed his stack with QQ. I said "nice hand", got up and planned to pack my stuff and leave. The flop came 8XX and people said "not so fast dude". The reg starting moaning about how his QQ's have been terrible this event and didn't stop for another orbit or so. My set held up for a much-needed double up (and more). 

Hand not played
Button open bet 1800, BB raised to 4000, button 10K, BB called.
Flop was Qxx with two spades
Somehow it got all in on the flop creating a 50K+ pot, button had K3ss for a flush draw and BB had AQ. Board ran out two more spades and the K3ss won.

Hand 3
With 23,300 in my stack, I got AKo in the BB. UTG opened for 1800, Button pro called, I called (Pot 6600). 
Flop was T55
Checked to BU, he bet 2000. I called and UTG folded (Pot 10,600)
Turn was a J.
I checked, he bet 3000, I folded.

Analysis
I broke my rule here about jamming strong hands preflop. Yet my stack now at 29BB seemed too deep for an open-jam, and AKo is always good enough to play as a call when last to act. My turn fold seemed tight to me, since I picked up a gutshot on the turn (20% assumed equity) getting 3000 to call into a 16,600 pot, or representing 18%. However - given the paired board I should be removing some equity from my calculation (in case there are hands like A5, K5 in button's range). And at the main event, chip preservation when short-stacked facing a river bet (all else being equal) should be my preferred route.

Hand 4
With 17,700, I got KT offsuit in the cutoff (one right of the button). I opened to 1800, SB and BB called (Pot 6200).
Flop is ATx.
Checked around.
Turn is K
Checked to me, I bet 2500, SB called, BB folded (Pot 11,200).
River is K giving me K's full of T's.
Checked to me, I jam for 13,400, he tank folded.

Analysis
I might have sized slightly larger on the turn to set up less than a pot sized river shove. The rest seems standard.

Hand 5
With 24,600 I got KJhh on the button. HJ pro opened to 1800, I called, blinds folded (Pot 5600).
Flop was Qxx.
Checked around.
Turn was K
Checked to me, I bet 2000, he folded.

We now moved to level 7, 500SB 1000BB 1000BB Ante, I have 26,400 (26 BB)

Hand 6
I get 97ss on the button.
Folded to me, I opened 2100, SB called, BB folded (Pot 6200).
Flop is Jd 7x 5d.
Checked around.
Turn is J.
BB bets 2800, I call (pot 11,800)
River was a non-diamond 4.
Checked around and I won against A4dd.

Analysis
This was an (at least somewhat interesting) hand. 97ss is probably the worst suited connector I'd open in that spot. My middle pair flop begs for a check-back. Opponent bet turn correctly. If he had jammed river, I would have had to fold. Well played for a much-needed chip up!

Up to 30,800 I then proceeded to lose a few small pots - missing flops and folding.

Hand 7
I got KQo UTG, bet 2100, button and BB called (Pot 7800).
Flop was AKx.
Checked around.
Turn 5
Checked around.
River low card.
BB check, I bet 2300, they folded.

Hand 8
With 27,000 I got AKo in middle position and bet 2100, BB called (Pot 5700).
Flop is TT9.
Checked around.
Turn 9.
Checked around.
River 8.
Checked around and I lost to J9.

Analysis 
I lost the absolute minimum here with a hand that whiffed the flop. Opponent should have led the river - that was a head scratcher and perhaps he was counting on me to bluff the river. Not much more to say.

Hand 9
With 25,500 I got JThh UTG. I bet 2100, SB and BB called (Pot 7300).
Flop is K65
Checked around.
Turn is 6.
Blinds checked, I bet 2400, SB folded, BB called (Post 12,100).
River brick, checked around and I lost to A9.

Analysis 
I should be cbetting this flop at a decent frequency, since it was better for my range and totally missed my hand (as opposed to QQ, A6 that might check back). If / when they call I should be giving up. My delayed-cBet is a common strategy designed to lower the chances of a non-paired opponent hand continuing. Apparently BB didn't get the memo.

Hand 10
I picked up 65cc in the BB. Button bet 3000, SB called, I called (Pot 10,000).
Flop is 974 giving me an open ended straight draw.
SB bet 6,000, I tank folded and button folded.

Analysis
This was a spot to jam the flop. I still had some fold equity with about 19K behind and if called, had an assumed 30%-ish equity. Chip preservation won out here over correct play.

Hand 11
With 16,300 I got KJcc UTG and bet 2100. Middle position with 25,000 shoved, I folded.

Hand 12
With 14,200 I got KJcc (again) in the Hijack (two off the button). UTG bet 2200, I called, blinds folded (Pot 6900).
Flop is TT9
UTG bet 3000, I folded.

Hand 13
I got AA in middle position, I shoved, they folded.

Hand 14
With 14,500 I got A4ss in the BB. Middle position bet 2500, late position called, I called (Pot 9000).
Flop was 974 all no spades.
I checked, middle position bet flop, LP called, I folded and then he jammed the turn.

Hand 15
With 8000 in my dwindling stack, I got QQ in the cutoff and open jammed. SB re-jammed for a bit more with AKo, spiked a King on the flop and I was out.
__________________________________________________________________________

Epilogue

After busting the main event in mid-afternoon, I realized that I had not been feeling too well for the past few hours (and I made sure to mask up during play). I headed to my room and chilled / rested, playing online for a while until bedtime.

Friday, both Mike A and Scott L played their Day 2's. Mike, coming into Day 2 with a good stack, made it through most of the day and bust. Scott made it through the entire Day 2 and into Day 3 (Saturday), where he unfortunately also exited just short of the money.

Being quite ill, I spent the rest of my Vegas stay in my room, venturing out to pick up meals and to the Pharmacy for medicine. By Sunday and heading back home in the late afternoon, I felt much better but made sure to N95 mask up during the flight, not opening it even for a drink. Having to struggle with a rude overweight dude for arm-rest space the entire flight, made a fitting end to this visit!

Regrets? Absolutely not, this was a real bucket list thing for me and there is no tournament atmosphere like the WSOP main event.
Will I do this again? Probably not, although I will be back at the WSOP to play smaller events, e.g. $1,500 going to a max 3 Days. The main event is truly an endurance test for my age group (let's just say 55+) and doesn't make any financial sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment